Re: index-only scans

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index-only scans
Date: 2011-08-11 21:06:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> wrote:
>> 1. The way that nodeIndexscan.c builds up the faux heap tuple is
>> perhaps susceptible to improvement.  I thought about building a
>> virtual tuple, but then what do I do with an OID column, if I have
>> one?  Or maybe this should be done some other way altogether.
>
> Maybe it's time to finally remove the been-deprecated-for-a-while OIDs?

I thought about just not supporting that for index-only scans, but
system catalogs use them pretty extensively, and it doesn't seem out
of the question that that could matter to people who have lots of SQL
objects floating around. I am *definitely* not volunteering to
reengineer OIDs out of the system catalogs. For that amount of work,
I could implement probably half a dozen major features any single one
of which would be more valuable than the tiny amount of notational
convenience such a change would buy.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company