Reproducible "Bus error" in 9.2.3 during database dump restoration (Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS)

From: Dmitry Koterov <dmitry(at)koterov(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Reproducible "Bus error" in 9.2.3 during database dump restoration (Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS)
Date: 2013-03-04 22:00:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

I have a database dump file (unfortunately with proprietary information)
which leads to the following error in logs during its restoration (even
after initdb - it is stable reproducible, at the same large table, the same
time):

*LOG: server process (PID 18705) was terminated by signal 7: Bus error*
DETAIL: Failed process was running: COPY *br_agent_log* (id, agent_id,
stamp, trace, message) FROM stdin;
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
and then, after recovery:
redo done at 0/12DDB7A8
LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
ERROR: could not read block 1 in file "base/57390/11783": read only 4448
of 8192 bytes at character 39

I think it could look like a memory corruption in PG? BTW 9.1.8 does not
have such problem - the restoration is OK.

Possibly I could help with this crash investigation? How to do it better?
Maybe you have a tutorial article about it which shows the preferable error
reporting format?