Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build
Date: 2011-06-27 10:45:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've added information about testing on some real-life dataset to wiki page.
This dataset have a speciality: data is ordered inside it. In this case
tradeoff was inverse in comparison with expectations about "fast build"
algrorithm. Index built is longer but index quality is significantly better.
I think high speed of regular index built is because sequential inserts are
into near tree parts. That's why number of actual page reads and writes is
low. The difference in tree quality I can't *convincingly explain now.*
I've also maked tests with shuffled data of this dataset. In this case
results was similar to random generated data.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.