Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build
Date: 2011-06-24 09:59:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <
heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On 21.06.2011 13:08, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>
>> I've created section about testing in project wiki page:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/**wiki/Fast_GiST_index_build_**
>> GSoC_2011#Testing_results<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Fast_GiST_index_build_GSoC_2011#Testing_results>
>> Do you have any notes about table structure?
>>

> It would be nice to have links to the datasets and scripts used, so that
> others can reproduce the tests.

Done.

> It's surprising that the search time differs so much between the point_ops
> tests with uniformly random data with 100M and 10M rows. Just to be sure I'm
> reading it correctly: a small search time is good, right? You might want to
> spell that out explicitly.

Yes, you're reading this correctly. Detailed explanation was added to the
wiki page. It's surprising for me too. I need some more insight into causes
of index quality difference.

Now I found some large enough real-life datasets (thanks to Oleg Bartunov)
and I'm performing tests on them.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.