Re: VARIANT / ANYTYPE datatype

From: Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VARIANT / ANYTYPE datatype
Date: 2011-05-11 02:29:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems to me a reasonable way to implement VARIANT would be to have
a data type called VARIANT that stores an OID of the inner type at the
beginning, followed by the binary data. When you say
pg_typeof(somevariant), you'll get 'variant'. Instead, you'd use a
function like this:

variant_typeof(VARIANT) returns REGTYPE

VARIANT could then be casted to/from other types. I think the rules
for converting to/from variant should be a little stronger than normal
PostgreSQL casting rules. For example:

SELECT '12345'::TEXT::INT; -- allowed
SELECT '12345'::TEXT::VARIANT::INT; -- not allowed
SELECT '12345'::TEXT::VARIANT::TEXT::INT; -- allowed

I'm not sure how conversions to/from VARIANT could be implemented
other than creating conversion functions for every type. It'd be nice
if we could avoid that.

A more permissive way to convert out of VARIANT might be to have a
function like this:

variant_unwrap(VARIANT) returns TEXT -- user casts to desired type

I suppose the in/out functions could prefix the value with the type
name and a colon:

> SELECT '12345'::INT::VARIANT;
variant
-------------
integer:12345

The VARIANT type, or similar, would be useful for the JSON data type
I've been intermittently working on, as it would allow us to create a
function like this:

from_json(JSON) returns VARIANT

from_json would unwrap a JSON string/number/bool/null/array,
converting it to a VARIANT whose inner type is TEXT / (INT or BIGINT
or DOUBLE or NUMERIC) / BOOL / [null] / ARRAY. In the [null] case,
from_json would actually return NULL (I see no need for VARIANT to
wrap nulls).

This is rather type-safe compared to what I currently have:

from_json(JSON) returns TEXT -- user casts to desired type

By returning variant, we can then cast to the desired type, and if the
cast is invalid, a type error will occur.

Joey Adams