Re: the big picture for index-only scans

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: the big picture for index-only scans
Date: 2011-05-11 02:29:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Greg Stark wrote:
>> Putting aside the politics questions, count(*) is an interesting case
>> -- it exposes some of the unanswered questions about index-only scans.
>>
>> The reason "select count(*)" might win would be because we could pick
>> any index and do an index scan, relying on the visibility map to
>> optimize away the heap reads. This is only going to be a win if a
>> large fraction of the heap reads get optimized away.
>>
>> It's going to be pretty tricky to determine in the optimizer a) which
>> index will be cheapest and b) what fraction of index tuples will point

> I assume the smallest non-partial index would be the cheapest index.

That will be true only if you intentionally ignore the points Greg
raised. If the table isn't entirely ALL_VISIBLE, then the choice of
index will determine the ordering of the actual table probes that occur.
There could be more or fewer page reads, in a more or less optimal
order, depending on the index used.