Re: FOREIGN TABLE doc fix

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FOREIGN TABLE doc fix
Date: 2011-06-13 16:29:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Yeah - MySQL is one of the ones I've been hacking on. It's hard to be
>> motivated if its going to need a complete rewrite within a year
>> though. I'll still have to work on it, as I've committed to giving
>> talks on it, but others might not bother to even start.
>
> It's a double-edged sword.  If nobody writes anything, because
> everyone is afraid to possibly having to change things, nothing will
> never need to be changed ;-)

It might be that the process of writing the MySQL FDW code would show
off things that'll need to get changed.

So the breakage might turn out to be Dave's fault! :-)

[Seriously.]

We really won't know what needs fixing/improving until nontrivial FDWs
get written, and it would be somewhat ironic, but really not hugely
surprising, if Dave wound up requesting changes to the underlying API
to *properly* support what he writes.

There's some degree of irony and amusement to be found here, but
nothing that strikes me as disturbing.