Re: Renaming '2010-Next' to '2010-6' in the commitfest app

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Renaming '2010-Next' to '2010-6' in the commitfest app
Date: 2010-05-20 16:27:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Yeah, I thought the agreement was to keep the same target dates as
>>> for last year's commitfests.
>
>> Yes! However, we were going to do a "reviewfest" starting June 15.
>
>> Is there a way for me to specify that differently? It would be very
>> helpful to be able to use the commitfest app for the reviewfest.
>
> I think the easiest way to deal with it is just to say that we're
> hoping to get an early start on the commitfest by beginning reviewing
> early on the already-submitted patches.  There's nothing stopping
> anyone from working on those patches in advance of the nominal
> commitfest start date.  (Of course, we can't actually commit any
> of them until the 9.0 branch is made; which is why I think it's
> a July commitfest not a June one.)

Yeah, I get that. A nice feature would be to allow for "reviewfests"
to occur and then be transitioned into a "commitfest" inside the
application without too much trouble. My fear is that people won't be
as motivated to work on patches without a clear transition between
phases, but that could certainly be unfounded.

I'll just do my best to set expectations among the reviewers and patch
authors that nothing will be committed/looked at by committers until
July.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me