Re: cvs to git migration - keywords

From: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cvs to git migration - keywords
Date: 2010-07-15 17:15:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/7/10, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > So what happens right now using the existing git repository is that
> > the $PostgeSQL$ tags are there, but they're unexpanded. They just say
> > $PostgreSQL$ rather than $PostgreSQL: tgl blah blah$.
>

> Really? All of them? Seems like that would have taken some intentional
> processing somewhere.

AFAIK that's what CVS actually keeps in repo, it expands keywords
when writing files out.

> If we could make the conversion work like that (rather than removing the
> whole line) it would negate my line-number-change argument, which might
> mean that files pulled from the repository would be "close enough" to
> their actual historical form that no one would mind. It's still a
> judgment call though. On balance I think I'd rather adopt the simple
> rule that historical file states in the git repository should match what
> you would have gotten from the cvs repository.

I would prefer that the diffs should match what CVS gives / what got
committed.

Sanity-checking by comparing CVS checkout with GIT checkout with
unexpanded keywords can be scripted easily enough, and is one-time
affair.

But humans want to review old diffs quite more frequently...

+1 keeping keywords, but unexpanded.

--
marko