Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)
Date: 2010-10-04 12:09:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

> - Always compile the crash dump feature in builds, so every build that
>  goes to a user is capable of crash dumps. Because a suitable version
>  of dbghelp.dll has been included in Windows XP and above, it shouldn't
>  be necessary to ship the DLL with Pg, though the license permits that.

We probably would want to - the version that comes with Windows is
somewhat cut down, and MSDN recommends using the more recent versions
from the debugging tools.

Any idea of the performance overhead?

> (BCC'd Dave Page because of his involvement in Windows & Windows Pg
> support).

That explains why it bypassed my filters :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company