Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)
Date: 2010-10-04 12:21:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/10/2010 8:09 PM, Dave Page wrote:

> Any idea of the performance overhead?

A GUC read and string compare when off, and (untested as yet) I expect
little more when on.

Thinking about it, a possibly better alternative is to ship it as a
library as is done with the pl/pgsql debugger, and use (I think)
shared_preload_libraries to load it when desired. That way there's zero
cost if disabled, though a somewhat higher cost if enabled.

Hmm. That'll let me put a test version together that'll work with 9.0 as
well, so that seems like a no-brainer really, it's just a better way to
do it. Time for a Pg-on-windows build, yay.

--
Craig Ringer