Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes

From: Florian Weimer <fw(at)deneb(dot)enyo(dot)de>
To: Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Arthur Silva <arthurprs(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed(dot)90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date: 2014-09-23 17:15:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Ants Aasma:

> CRC has exactly one hardware implementation in general purpose CPU's

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Many general purpose CPUs have CRC
circuity, and there must be some which also expose them as
instructions.

> and Intel has a patent on the techniques they used to implement
> it. The fact that AMD hasn't yet implemented this instruction shows
> that this patent is non-trivial to work around.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. Intel and AMD have various
cross-licensing deals. AMD faces other constraints which can make
implementing the instruction difficult.