Re: Updateable Views?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updateable Views?
Date: 2004-08-04 03:38:48
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net> writes:

> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:05, CSN wrote:
> > Just wondering, is updateable views slated for a
> > future version of Postgresql? In addition to using
> > rules that is.
>
> I would think that a basic fleshing out of the logic with some kind of
> stored proc to make the views and triggers would likely get someone
> started on the backend work. You know, a proof of concept thingy.

I have some fears here. It seems everyone's first thought when they think
about updateable views is to think about constructing rules on the views.

How would that approach help with inline views? Things like:

UPDATE (SELECT a+b AS x, c AS y FROM foo) SET c=1 WHERE x = 10

It seems like starting with these types of views in the backend would be more
productive than implementing something in rules. Once postgres can handle
inline views it should be trivial to handle persistent views just like they're
handled on selects.

--
greg