Re: trash talk

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>, David Parker <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trash talk
Date: 2004-08-04 03:36:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Scott Ribe wrote:

>>That's because he's a marketeer, not a developer or a sysadmin. He only
>>understands market-speak.
>

> No, I think he fully understands the relative position of PostgreSQL and its
> level of use. Think about it, why did he choose to disrespect this one
> particular open-source database out of all the ones available? Because in
> the context of that interview he could only squeeze in one such derogatory
> comment, and you can be sure he chose his target carefully. When somebody
> that highly placed in that large of an organization gives an interview, he
> doesn't usually make careless unplanned comments.
>
> I feel good that PostgreSQL has gotten so much attention from IBM--it's a
> real sign of accomplishment ;-)

I could be reading it incorrectly, but the paragraph was outside any
attributed quote:

---
The developer community for Cloudscape now consists of about 80 IBM
developers, Rivot said. IBM of course anticipates that population
will explode when the open-source community gets its hand on the
code, but just because a product goes open source doesn't mean it
will succeed, as can be witnessed by the failure of the PostgreSQL
database to thrive under this model.
---

Therefore, the author, Lisa Vass, could well have formulated this
assertion of failure from the deep inner recesses of her own mind.

I also find the other mention of PostgreSQL, which was an
attributable quote, odd:

---
Rivot agreed. "Some of the other ones [such as PostgreSQL], they've
thrown it over the wall to see where it sticks," Rivot said. "In
this case, there is a groundswell [of support], and that caused us
to look and pay attention to it. The usage will continue to grow."
---

What's the point of the square-brackets? Hmm...

Mike Mascari