Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-07 18:57:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc> writes:
> In terms of picking an SCM candidate, I don't think "time to install
> from source" is a legitimate concern. Installing from source is great,
> but if the package needs to be installed from source, it is not well
> enough supported by the community to be worth using.

That is 100.0% wrong. Some people want to install from source, and
some don't have any choice because they are on platforms where there's
not a prebuilt binary available. I am *not* willing to say that we
will blow off developers on any platform that some other project is
choosing not to provide binaries for.

As a fairly well related example, note how CVSup never became the de
facto standard, because it wasn't portable enough, or at least had made
the wrong decisions about what to depend on.