Re: pgsql: Allow the syntax CREATE TYPE foo, with no parameters, to permit

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Allow the syntax CREATE TYPE foo, with no parameters, to permit
Date: 2006-03-01 06:52:51
Lists: pgsql-committers

>> Allow the syntax CREATE TYPE foo, with no parameters, to permit explicit
>> creation of a shell type.

> BTW, I noticed that it would be nice to make use of this syntax among
> for contrib/ --

No objection here, if you want to have at it.

> if nothing else to avoid the ugly "NOTICE" that is
> currently emitted in many cases describing the implicit creation of a
> shell type.

As things currently stand, you'll still get some annoying "NOTICE: foo
is a shell type" messages from a completely-kosher creation sequence.
Ideally we should get rid of these, but on the other hand random
references to an incomplete shell type are probably worth warning
about. Any thoughts about the best approach here?