Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?
Date: 2006-11-08 20:10:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

> > To refresh, here's the list of everything we might want to
> spend money on:
> >
> > 1. PostgreSQL.org infrastructure (servers, bandwidth,
> sysadmins, SSL, etc.)
> > (unlikely to need money, but if it does, the highest priority)
>
> There's one area regarding postgresql.org infrastructure that
> I think we could enhance that would benefit the community
> pretty greatly.
>
> Could the PostgreSQL infrastructure itself serve as an
> example of best practices and/or interesting use of
> PostgreSQL --- and have the source for the apps poswering
> postgresql.org be available on pgfoundry/gborg?
>
> I can think of a couple examples:
>
> * Is search on the postgresql web site or docs or mailing list
> archives powered by tsearch2 or some sgml indexing feature
> or some other postgresql cool feature I don't know about?
> Could it be? Could we see how it's done? I think the docs would
> be especially interesting if it indexes the sgml; and I think
> the mailing list archives are a pretty nice example of a fairly
> large scale search database.

This is being worked on right now.

> I've been asked why PostgreSQL.org's search apparently uses
> ASPSeek and ASPSeek's docs claim the supported database are
> "it can be mysql or oracle8 for now." (Though I've been told
> in postgresql.org's case it's actually backed by PG, that's
> not obvious anywhere.)

We have a special version of ASPSeek that works with Pg. Unfortunatly
the upstream maintainers didn't want our patches, if I understodd the
situation right. One of the reasons we are migrating off it.

> * I seem to recall a developer map somewhere. Was it generated
> by PostGIS? If not, note that pretty impressive maps can
> be generated from PostgreSQL/PostGIS like the links below [1,2,3]
> All of these are dynamically generated (change the mapxy or
> scale parameters if you don't believe me) from a 90GB postgresql
> database of individual road segments; and it works pretty well
> and IMHO would make a pretty nice demo and example of how to
> use that feature?

That could be a nice demo, yes.

> * Is the postgresql.org adserver powered by postgresql? That
> too would be interesting to many small site webmasters if
> the source were available.

I don't know. It would IMHO be much better to get rid of the ads and use
whatever little funding needed to replace that.

> * Is postgresql.org itself a database-backed web site? How
> about showing the source for that on pgfoundry as an
> example web site?

It is, but it uses a reasonably advanced static mirroring system. The
source is on gborg, project "pgweb".

//Magnus