Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?
Date: 2006-11-08 20:12:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

> I can think of a couple examples:
>
> * Is search on the postgresql web site or docs or mailing list
> archives powered by tsearch2 or some sgml indexing feature
> or some other postgresql cool feature I don't know about?
> Could it be? Could we see how it's done? I think the docs would
> be especially interesting if it indexes the sgml; and I think
> the mailing list archives are a pretty nice example of a fairly
> large scale search database.

This is something that is kind of being worked on right now. You will be
able to submit a keyword that will return docs based on the keyword.
Versus a fuzzy search.

> I've been asked why PostgreSQL.org's search apparently uses
> ASPSeek and ASPSeek's docs claim the supported database are
> "it can be mysql or oracle8 for now." (Though I've been told
> in postgresql.org's case it's actually backed by PG, that's
> not obvious anywhere.)

Yes it is using PostgreSQL, but we are moving to 8.2 with PHP +
GIN/Tsearch to do our new search engine.

> * I seem to recall a developer map somewhere. Was it generated
> by PostGIS? If not, note that pretty impressive maps can
> be generated from PostgreSQL/PostGIS like the links below [1,2,3]
> All of these are dynamically generated (change the mapxy or
> scale parameters if you don't believe me) from a 90GB postgresql
> database of individual road segments; and it works pretty well
> and IMHO would make a pretty nice demo and example of how to
> use that feature?

That would be very, very cool. To automatically generate maps of all the
contributors. You up for the task, we could use a volunteer :) (never
suggest unless you can do ;))

> * Is the postgresql.org adserver powered by postgresql? That
> too would be interesting to many small site webmasters if
> the source were available.

This is going away entirely soon.

> * Is postgresql.org itself a database-backed web site? How
> about showing the source for that on pgfoundry as an
> example web site?

The entire PostgreSQL -WWW project can be downloaded now from gborg.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/