Re: Adding support for SE-Linux security

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding support for SE-Linux security
Date: 2009-12-07 02:29:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> > I offered to review it. ?I was going to mostly review the parts that
>> > impacted our existing code, and I wasn't going to be able to do a
>> > thorough job of the SE-Linux-specific files.
>>
>> Review it and commit it, after making whatever modifications are
>> necessary?  Or review it in part, leaving the final review and commit
>> to someone else?
>>
>> I just read through the latest version of this patch and it does
>> appear to be in significantly better shape than the versions I read
>> back in July.  So it might not require a Herculean feat of strength to
>> get this in, but I still think it's going to be a big job.  There's a
>> lot of code here that needs to be verified and in some cases probably
>> cleaned up or restructured.  If you're prepared to take it on, I'm not
>> going to speak against that, other than to say that I think you have
>> your work cut out for you.
>
> This is no harder than many of the other seemingly crazy things I have
> done, e.g. Win32 port, client library threading.  If this is a feature
> we should have, I will get it done or get others to help me complete the
> task.

Well, I have always thought that it would be sort of a feather in our
cap to support this, which is why I've done a couple of reviews of it
in the past. I tend to agree with Tom that only a small fraction of
our users will probably want it, but then again someone's been paying
KaiGai to put a pretty hefty amount of work into this over the last
year-plus, so obviously someone not only wants the feature but wants
it merged. Within our community, I think that there have been a lot
of people who have liked the concept of this feature but very few who
have liked the patch, so there's somewhat of a disconnect between our
aspirations and our better technical judgment. Tom is a notable
exception who I believe likes neither the concept nor the patch, which
is something we may need to resolve before getting too serious about
this.

...Robert