Re: table corrupted

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: João Eugenio Marynowski <joaoem(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table corrupted
Date: 2009-10-23 04:09:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:00 PM, João Eugenio Marynowski
<joaoem(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I don't be able to select the data from table with pg_dump or select, both
> occur error...
> how i can identified the register of a table independent the contends of the
> register, only control of the postgres?
> I eliminate the index pk but now I don't be able to create begin because
> show the error:
> ERROR:  index row requires 21776744 bytes, maximum size is 8191
> How increase the index row?

Well, that's not really the problem. Your data is corrupted -
increasing the index row size is not going to fix it.

I'm not really knowledgeable enough about the guts of the database to
know whether there are lower-level tools that could be used to rescue
your data. I wonder if you'd have any luck selecting data a few rows
at a time (LIMIT 100, say, without ORDER BY). That might at least
enable you to get some of the data out of there, if there are some
pages that are undamaged. But I'm grasping at straws here.

...Robert