Re: Minor binary-search int overflow in timezone code

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minor binary-search int overflow in timezone code
Date: 2014-12-15 21:58:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/15/14, 1:39 PM, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Tom Lane 2014-12-15 <21813(dot)1418655100(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
>> This is totally silly. The timecnt couldn't be anywhere near INT_MAX (in
>> fact, it is not allowed to exceed TZ_MAX_TIMES, which is currently just
>> 1200). And there are bunches of other instances of similar code in PG;
>> shall we put equally wishy-washy comments on them all?
>
> Well, if it's not interesting, let's just forget it. Sorry.

At the risk of sticking my head in the lions mouth... this is the kind of response that deters people from contributing anything to the project, including reviewing patches. A simple "thanks, but we feel it's already clear enough that there can't be anywhere close to INT_MAX timezones" would have sufficed.