Re: PL/pgSQL 2

From: Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)nosys(dot)es>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Date: 2014-09-02 23:01:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/09/14 00:41, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 09/02/2014 02:47 PM, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
>
>> Yeah, we differ there. I think having an Oracle compatibility layer
>> in PostgreSQL would be the-next-big-thing we could have. Oracle is has
>> orders of magnitude bigger user base than postgres has; and having the
>> ability to attract them would bring us many many more users which, in
>> turn, would benefit us all very significantly.
>>
>> It would be my #1 priority to do in postgres (but yes, I know
>> -guess- how hard and what resources that would require). But dreaming is
>> free :)
>
> Oracle compatibility certainly has merit, I just don't see it as
> useful for core. I would be far more interested in MSSQL compatibility
> honestly. That said, Postgres itself is a rockstar and I think we can
> make our own case without having to copy others.

It's not copying. It's easying a path for others to migrate and
come to Postgres.

I'm interested why you are more interested in MSSQL. My reasons for
being interested in Oracle are:

- It has more users (biggest and above all, the main reason: we could
attract more)
- Postgres is perceived as "similar" to Oracle (so migration is likely
to be easier)

That's all I want. Grow postgres userbase, attracting Oracle users :)

Álvaro