Re: PL/pgSQL 2

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)nosys(dot)es>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Date: 2014-09-02 22:41:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/02/2014 02:47 PM, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:

> Yeah, we differ there. I think having an Oracle compatibility layer
> in PostgreSQL would be the-next-big-thing we could have. Oracle is has
> orders of magnitude bigger user base than postgres has; and having the
> ability to attract them would bring us many many more users which, in
> turn, would benefit us all very significantly.
>
> It would be my #1 priority to do in postgres (but yes, I know
> -guess- how hard and what resources that would require). But dreaming is
> free :)

Oracle compatibility certainly has merit, I just don't see it as useful
for core. I would be far more interested in MSSQL compatibility
honestly. That said, Postgres itself is a rockstar and I think we can
make our own case without having to copy others.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc