Re: Deprecations in authentication

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deprecations in authentication
Date: 2014-01-18 14:59:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/16/2014 08:01 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
> <mailto:tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>> wrote:
>
> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net <mailto:magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>>
> writes:
> > One thing I noticed - in MSVC, the config parameter "krb5"
> (equivalent of
> > the removed --with-krb5) enabled *both* krb5 and gssapi, and
> there is no
> > separate config parameter for gssapi. Do we want to rename that
> one to
> > "gss", or do we want to keep it as "krb5"? Renaming it would break
> > otherwise working environments, but it's kind of weird to leave
> it...
>
> +1 for renaming --- anybody who's building with "krb5" and
> expecting to,
> you know, actually *get* krb5 would probably rather find out about
> this
> change at build time instead of down the road a ways.
>
> A compromise position would be to introduce a gss parameter while
> leaving
> krb5 in place as a deprecated (perhaps undocumented?) synonym for it.
> But I think that's basically confusing.
>

> Yeah, I'm not sure it actually helps much.
>

> Andrew - is this going to cause any issues wrt the buildfarm, by any
> chance?

None of my Windows buildfarm members builds with krb5. Mastodon does,
although it seems to have gone quiet for 16 days (Dave - might be worth
a check). Probably the result of renaming krb5 would be just that the
build would proceed without it. From memory I don't thing the config
settings are sanity checked.

(We need some more, and more modern, Windows buildfarm members.)

cheers

andrew