Re: Sequence Access Method WIP

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sequence Access Method WIP
Date: 2013-11-26 11:32:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/25/13 12:00, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 25 November 2013 04:01, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> The proposed changes to alloc() would still suffer from all the problems
>> that I complained about. Adding a new API alongside doesn't help with that.
>
> You made two proposals. I suggested implementing both.
>
> What would you have me do?

Dunno. I do know that the proposed changes to alloc() are not a good
API. You could implement the other API, I think that has a chance of
being a cleaner API, but looking at the BDR extension that would use
that facility, I'm not sure how useful that would be for you. (and I'd
really like to see an actual implementation of whatever API we come up
with, before we commit to maintaining it).

- Heikki