Re: HeapTupleSatisfiesDirty fails to test HEAP_XMAX_IS_LOCKED_ONLY for TransactionIdIsInProgress(...)

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HeapTupleSatisfiesDirty fails to test HEAP_XMAX_IS_LOCKED_ONLY for TransactionIdIsInProgress(...)
Date: 2013-08-21 22:00:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/5/13 10:18 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> The main issue with the test is that it's a dirty hack. What I really
> want is a way to block a statement at a certain point - to say "block
> after a snapshot is acquired" for example - and release that at a time
> of my choosing.

> Opinions? Is this something that's even worth thinking about further or
> a non-starter?

+1

Something that sets Enova apart from many other places is we have extensive database unit tests. One of the reasons for that is you can do way more testing at the database level than you can trying to go through the application.

This seems like just another case of that. We could either try to come up with some C level unit tests (which I suspect wouldn't work in this case), or expose some hooks.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net