Re: Configurable location for extension .control files

From: Oliver Charles <ollie(at)ocharles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configurable location for extension .control files
Date: 2013-06-04 20:24:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/04/2013 09:07 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> It presumably wouldn't be terribly hard for Oliver to patch the sources
> to look in something other than SHAREDIR/extension/, but I'm not sure
> I see the point of inventing a platform-specific name for that
> directory; seems like it would mostly just confuse users coming from
> other platforms. Instead, what about not treating that directory as
> part of the base package in the first place? If you've got the concept
> of directories that multiple packages can install into, just make this
> be one of those.

I currently have postgresql patched to search getenv("PGSHAREDIR")
before looking at SHAREDIR, which seems to work. As I said in a previous
reply - by my understanding it should all just work without any patches,
but for some reason the path coming out from get_share_dir is not
relative to the executable symlink, but is relative to executable under
that symlink. If that problem can be solved, then everything can just
carry on working.