Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request)

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Hari Babu <haribabu(dot)kommi(at)huawei(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Subject: Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request)
Date: 2013-02-25 16:39:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>>> True, but I'm with Heikki: it's a pedantic and unhelpful guideline.
>> Then let's change it, drop the preference, and update the documentation.
> I think we should drop the hard requirement for context-format, and
> instead say that it must not be plain (context-free) diff, since that
> clearly *is* a hard requirement.
>
> However, I liked the upthread suggestion (I think it was from Heikki)
> that we recommend that submitters actually take a moment to think about
> which format is more readable for their particular patch. Readability
> is important not only to help people who just give the patch a quick
> eyeball, but also to help the inevitable situations where hunks have
> to be applied by hand because the underlying code has changed. The
> less readable the patch, the more likely an error in doing that.

+1

I think the readability is mostly the de-facto threshold. Considering
that quite a few plain "git diff" patches were committed during this CF
but those were readable in that format, even biggies like "teach
receivexlog to switch timelines" which (I just browsed it) had parts
that rewrote code in a way that the diff had pieces with different
indentation intermixed. This can constitute to being unreadable
at times but it also depends on the reader.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Zoltán Böszörményi