Re: auto_explain produces invalid JSON

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: auto_explain produces invalid JSON
Date: 2012-02-13 18:33:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/13/2012 12:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>> On 02/13/2012 11:15 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> After looking a bit more at the existing explain code, it seems like the
>>> critical issue is that explain.c has ExplainOpenGroup/ExplainCloseGroup
>>> calls around the ExplainPrintPlan call (see ExplainOnePlan), while
>>> auto_explain does not.
>> Yeah, maybe. We'd still have to do it conditionally (have to use
>> ExplainBeginOutput for the XML case), but it would possibly be less kludgy.
> Hm? I wasn't suggesting removing the ExplainBeginOutput call, but more
> like
>
> ExplainBeginOutput(&es);
> + ExplainOpenGroup(...);
> ExplainQueryText(&es, queryDesc);
> ExplainPrintPlan(&es, queryDesc);
> + ExplainCloseGroup(...);
> ExplainEndOutput(&es);
>
> Details still TBD; the point is just that it's not clear to me why
> auto_explain should need a formatting concept that doesn't already exist
> within explain.c.

This will introduce an extra level of nesting for no good reason.

But this would work:

- ExplainBeginOutput(&es);
+ if (auto_explain_log_format != EXPLAIN_FORMAT_JSON)
+ ExplainBeginOutput(&es);
+ else
+ ExplainOpenGroup(NULL, NULL, true,& es);
ExplainQueryText(&es, queryDesc);
ExplainPrintPlan(&es, queryDesc);
- ExplainEndOutput(&es);
+ if (auto_explain_log_format != EXPLAIN_FORMAT_JSON)
+ ExplainEndOutput(&es);
+ else
+ ExplainCloseGroup(NULL, NULL, true, &es);

cheers

andrew