Re: auto_explain produces invalid JSON

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: auto_explain produces invalid JSON
Date: 2012-02-13 17:48:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 02/13/2012 11:15 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> After looking a bit more at the existing explain code, it seems like the
>> critical issue is that explain.c has ExplainOpenGroup/ExplainCloseGroup
>> calls around the ExplainPrintPlan call (see ExplainOnePlan), while
>> auto_explain does not.

> Yeah, maybe. We'd still have to do it conditionally (have to use
> ExplainBeginOutput for the XML case), but it would possibly be less kludgy.

Hm? I wasn't suggesting removing the ExplainBeginOutput call, but more
like

ExplainBeginOutput(&es);
+ ExplainOpenGroup(...);
ExplainQueryText(&es, queryDesc);
ExplainPrintPlan(&es, queryDesc);
+ ExplainCloseGroup(...);
ExplainEndOutput(&es);

Details still TBD; the point is just that it's not clear to me why
auto_explain should need a formatting concept that doesn't already exist
within explain.c.