Re: Review of VS 2010 support patches

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review of VS 2010 support patches
Date: 2011-07-05 18:15:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Review of VS 2010 support patches
From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
Date: 05.07.2011 14:25

> I haven't had any reply to my email to Brar, so there are a few
> details (like whether x64 builds were tested and how x64 required
> libraries were built) I could use, but what I've got done so far seems
> fine.
I've replied on-list see:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg00066.php

Seems like i've got fooled by "reply to list" being thunderbird's
default for mailing lists once more. Sorry for that one.

> The patch (VS2010v7.patch) seems to mix significant changes with
> whitespace fixes etc.

Current version (VS2010v8.patch) which I've submitted on-list about one
month ago has fixed this as per Tom Lane's comment.
See: http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4DEDB6EE.9060307@gmx.de

> pgflex.pl and pgbison.pl
> =====================
>
> pgflex.pl and pgbison.pl are a big improvement over the horrid batch
> files, but are perhaps too little a translation. There's no need for
> the big if(string) then (otherstring) stuff; it can be done much more
> cleanly by storing a simple hash of paths to options and doing a file
> extension substitution to generate the output filenames. The hash only
> needs to be populated for files that get processed with non-default
> options, so for pgflex all you need is:
>
> %LEX_OPTS = { 'src\backend\parser\scan.c' -> '-CF' };
>
> I can send adjusted versions of pgflex.pl and pgbison.pl that

I think the approach Andrew Dunstan chose (parsing the Makefiles) is
even more flexible and future proof. We should probably be using his
versions.
See: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg00140.php
and http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg00185.php

> DOCUMENTATION
> ===============
>
> I didn't notice any documentation updates to reflect the fact that
> Visual Studio 2010 is now supported. It'd be a good idea to change
> install-windows-full.html (or the source of it, anyway) to mention VS
> 2010 support.

Yep - a clear leftover. I've never written any SGML but I'll try to come
up with something as soon as as I've got the doc build working on my system.

> I'm not sure if I'll be able to get 64-bit copies of all the optional
> libraries built, so it may be a more minimal build. It'll include at
> least zlib, plperl and plpython 64-bit support, though. Information
> from Briar about whether he built for 64-bit and if so how he got his
> libraries built would help.

Actually my default builds are 64-bit builds as my PC is Win7 x64 and
I'm using 64-Bit versions for my PostgreSQL work.
As you noted, the availability of 64-bit libraries was the limiting
factor for more extensive testing but I haven't run into any Problems
with my default configuration (nothing but plperl) and some others I've
tried yet.

Regards,

Brar