Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-20 20:42:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/20/2011 12:22 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

>> Well, you aren't fighting alone. We have significant problems in this area.
>> As you said, we always have. There is also a bizarre, almost insane
>> objection to using tools that "aren't invented here" to solve problems. The
>> problems you (Josh) present are real, regardless of Robert's opinion. The
>> thing that is important for everyone to remember is PERCEPTION IS REALITY.
>>
>> If people PERCEIVE there is a problem, THERE IS A PROBLEM.
> Absolutely. And I am perfectly well aware that we have screwed this
> up from time to time. But I also know that I have spent a very large
> amount of time over the last few years trying to improve things. It
> would be nice to know whether that has had any impact. If it hasn't,
> then half of what I have spent the last two years doing has been a
> waste of time.
I don't think anyone would argue that your efforts have not improved the
situation. I certainly wouldn't. However, the perception (and reality of
the problem) definitely still applies. I wouldn't suggest that you stop
what you are doing but that doesn't mean the problem or variances of the
problem don't still exist and need to be addressed.

Sincerely,

jD

PostgreSQL Support, Training, Professional Services and Developement
Organizers of the PostgreSQL Conference - http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579