Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, cbbrowne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, greg <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-20 20:55:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But ignoring scheduling difficulties, my point here is that
> it seems like the shorter the cycle, the better, for a lot of
> purposes. Can we do any better than once-a-month, or is that the
> limit given that people need flexible schedules within the fest?

If you want to keep the basic idea of predictable periods of activity
and rest, I think that's as far as you can go.

I'm personally not terribly tied to that; I'm more interested in the
tool support that the CF gives us. I might also like, for example, just
a permanent patch queue with patches sorted by date. Multiple
approaches like that could also very well exist in parallel, even within
the existing commitfest application framework.