Re: proposal : cross-column stats

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal : cross-column stats
Date: 2010-12-13 21:50:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas,

> (a) find out what statistics do we need to collect and how to use it
> (b) implement a really stupid inefficient solution
> (c) optimize in iterations, i.e. making it faster, consuming less
> space etc.

I'll suggest again how to decide *which* columns to cross: whichever
columns are combined in composite indexes. In version 2, allow the DBA
to specify combinations.

In the unlikely event that correlation could be reduced to a single
float number, it would be conceivable for each column to have an array
of correlation stats for every other column where correlation was
non-random; on most tables (i.e. ones with less than 100 columns) we're
not talking about that much storage space.

The main cost would be the time spent collecting that info ...

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.