Re: proposal : cross-column stats

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal : cross-column stats
Date: 2010-12-13 18:59:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dne 13.12.2010 16:38, Tom Lane napsal(a):
> The reason that this wasn't done years ago is precisely that nobody's
> figured out how to do it with a tolerable amount of stats data and a
> tolerable amount of processing time (both at ANALYZE time and during
> query planning). It's not hard to see what we'd ideally like to do;
> it's getting from there to something useful in production that's hard.

OK, I fully realize that. My plan is to simply

(a) find out what statistics do we need to collect and how to use it
(b) implement a really stupid inefficient solution
(c) optimize in iterations, i.e. making it faster, consuming less
space etc.

It will take time, it won't be perfect for a long time, but every
journey starts somewhere.

regards
Tomas