Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory
Date: 2010-08-09 19:27:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 08/09/2010 09:14 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> As far as SLRU is concerned, the already-agreed-to plan is to get rid of
> the separate arenas for SLRU and merge those things into the main shared
> buffers arena.

I didn't know about that plan. Sounds good. (I'm personally thinking
this is trying to solve the same problem in a more specific fashion).

> IIRC, the motivation for designing SLRU the way it is
> was to ensure that SLRU uses couldn't be starved for memory due to high
> demand for shared buffers. But that was back when people frequently ran
> PG with only a few meg for shared buffers; I think that worry is
> obsolete.

Good to know.

> So I don't see this patch as offering anything at all that we care about
> so far as the core server is concerned. Maybe there are extensions that
> need it badly enough to justify such a feature in core, but SLRU is not
> a good argument for it.

Fair enough.

(Patch is already marked as "returned with feedback" on the commitfest
app, thanks again for additional feedback)

Regards

Markus Wanner