Re: host name support in pg_hba.conf

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: host name support in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2010-08-09 19:29:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Kevin Grittner (Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov) wrote:
> > The client's IP address (known from the kernel)
>
> Some machines have several IP addresses; how is that handled?

Sounds like he already described it, or I read it wrong. The fact that
some machines have several IP addresses hardly matters- whatever IP is
used to connect to PG is what gets the reverse DNS lookup. That then
returns a host. That host is then looked up, and as long as *one* of
the IPs associated with that host matches the IP of the connector, it's
good to go.

> > is reverse looked up, which results in a host name.
>
> Some IP addresses have several host names, including in reverse
> lookup; how is that handled?

Yeahhhh... That's just busted, imnsho. But then, that's probably
because it breaks Kerberos too. :)

Thanks,

Stephen