Re: Extensions User Design

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extensions User Design
Date: 2009-06-24 21:27:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew,

> Actually, I think we should be like Perl here. There is a list of
> standard modules that comes with the base Perl distro, and then there
> are addons, such as you find on CPAN. File::Find is an example of a
> standard module, DBD::Pg is an example of an addon.

Actually, chromatic, Allison, etc. regard the Standard Modules as a
mistake and are talking about moving away from having any for Perl 6.

On the other hand, their main reason for doing this (the issues with
maintaining the included version and the CPAN version separately)
wouldn't apply to us.

On the third hand, having "all modules equal, just some recommended"
approach woudl make it far easier to drop a module which went
unmaintained, e.g. CUBE. But some people may regard this as a misfeature.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.