Re: Replacing plpgsql's lexer

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replacing plpgsql's lexer
Date: 2009-04-15 09:57:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 11:36 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> Extract the source of the offending plpgsql function using e.g
>> pg_dump, modify it so that it works again, and restore the function.
>> There's your workaround.
>
> Forcing manual re-editing of an unknown number of lines of code is not a
> useful workaround, its just the default.
>
> How do you know which is the offending function? If we force a full
> application retest we put in place a significant barrier to upgrade.
> That isn't useful for us as developers, nor is it useful for users.

If I understood correctly, the proposed change is not supposed to have
any user-visible effects. It doesn't force a full application retest any
more than any of the other changes that have gone into 8.4.

We're talking about what we'll do or tell the users to do if we missed
something. By definition we don't know what we've missed, so I don't
think we can come up with a more specific solution than that.

--
Heikki Linnakangas