Re: Replacing plpgsql's lexer

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replacing plpgsql's lexer
Date: 2009-04-15 09:12:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 11:36 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Extract the source of the offending plpgsql function using e.g
> pg_dump, modify it so that it works again, and restore the function.
> There's your workaround.

Forcing manual re-editing of an unknown number of lines of code is not a
useful workaround, its just the default.

How do you know which is the offending function? If we force a full
application retest we put in place a significant barrier to upgrade.
That isn't useful for us as developers, nor is it useful for users.

I'm happy for Tom to make changes now; delay has no advantage. If we
have to add some lines of code/complexity to help our users then it
seems a reasonable thing to do rather than keeping our code pure and
demanding everybody else make changes.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com