Re: Unicode string literals versus the world

From: "Meredith L(dot) Patterson" <mlp(at)osogato(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode string literals versus the world
Date: 2009-04-14 19:07:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I suspect that it's actually impossible to parse such a thing correctly
> without a full-fledged flex lexer or something of equivalent complexity.
> Certainly it's a couple of orders of magnitude harder than it is for
> either standard-conforming or E'' literals.

Is there a reason not to use a full-fledged flex lexer?

I'd be willing to take a crack at such a thing, but I'm working 80-hour
weeks through the end of June and likely wouldn't be able to put in any
time on it till then. So I definitely couldn't promise anything for 8.4,
but if putting it off till 8.5 works, sign me up.

Cheers,
--mlp
Meredith L. Patterson
Founder and CTO