Re: parallel restore vs. windows

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: parallel restore vs. windows
Date: 2008-12-09 03:32:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> HANDLE h = (HANDLE)_beginthreadex(NULL, 0, thread_start, arg, 0, NULL);
>
> This didn't give me any more joy, unfortunately. But you're right, I
> should be using it.

Are these threads sharing memory, intentionally or by mistake?

>> if(h)
>> CloseHandle(h);
>
> Umm, even if I wait on the handle using waitForMultipleObjects() ?

I was only trying to demonstrate that the value returned by _beginthread can be
managed/closed just like any other win32 HANDLE.

> I am terminating the thread by returning from the thread function. I
> understand this is the recommended way.

I didn't see a CloseHandle on ret_child anywhere. The HANDLE still exists after
the thread exists, you still have to call CloseHandle.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC