Re: WIP patch: Collation support

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Radek Strnad <radek(dot)strnad(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP patch: Collation support
Date: 2008-09-22 15:11:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
>
>>> For anyone counting, Firebird added support for ICU more than three
>>> years ago.
>>
>> ICU is orthogonal to this patch. This patch didn't provide ICU
>> support, and we could start using ICU without the catalog changes.
>
> This patch should allow to use both system catalog and ICU.

Not without another patch that actually introduces ICU support. What
that would look like, how that would be stored in the catalogs, and
whether we want that is whole another topic. Without that, the STRCOLFN
part of the original patch is pointless, and I would've ripped that out
anyway even if we decided to add the pg_collation catalog in this release.

--
Heikki Linnakangas