Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date: 2007-08-08 15:44:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 17:14 schrieb Lukas Kahwe Smith:
>> I read about EnterpriseDB PostGres [1] today. Guess since its open
>> source it does not contain DynaTune (or what their auto tuning feature
>> for EnterpriseDB is called). Might be a nice addition to be able to get
>> this unbundled as a binary .. for this distribution? At any rate another
>> PostgreSQL distribution, well not another actually its "the first-ever
>> professional-grade distribution".
>
> It's basically PostgreSQL and regular add-on components installed in an
> unusual way.

Unusual?

> Certainly not the first,

Barring pgInstaller, it's the first bundled distribution I recall seeing
available at no cost.

> and arguably not professional.

Thanks. The Windows build was written by me, using the same technology,
and indeed much of our existing code from pgInstaller. Please detail
what is unprofessional so I can fix both packages.

Regards, Dave