Re: [pgsql-www] Developer's Wiki

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Developer's Wiki
Date: 2006-09-19 16:52:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 03:49:29PM +0200, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> I agree pretty much. However I disagree that a wiki is not useful to
>> summarize discussion from the mailinglist. All that it needs is people
>> that are humble and do not push their own agendas. If necessary they
>> should discuss their summaries with members of both/all sides of a given
>> discussion and with members of the core group.
>
> It would be helpful if people commented on the stuff already there and
> said if it's good, bad or otherwise.

I just looked through the wiki. Generally I like whats there. It seems
the approach taken is essentially that the unofficial todo items contain
a current brain dump on the steps taken so far, the status and future
work. So if any "busy bees" would want to join in and help, they would
just keep close contact with the person that is working on the todo
item. I think this is a great basis to make it easier for other people
to join in and should be a solid basis for turning this into "official"
todo items.

The ICU todo item will maybe also become a good test bed for how to
build up a document at the very early stages, where there will still be
a lot of discussions on the mailinglists.

Thinking a head (and maybe too far then we really need to at this
point): So how will this work once they become "official". I assume
Bruce's todo list would then link to the wiki and the editing would
become more conservative? Would the status get frozen? I assume that if
the given functionality is expanded/changed in future releases then it
would be done in the same document? Or would a new document be startet
to detail the new development process that would simply optionally list
previous documents?

regards,
Lukas