Re: PostgreSQL XID exceeded crash.

From: Mario Lopez <mario(at)lar3d(dot)com>
To: Mario Lopez <mario(at)lar3d(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL XID exceeded crash.
Date: 2006-09-04 12:19:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Alvaro,

Ok, maybe is not a crash but this issue makes postgresql reap all of
it's child processes and restart operations, after this error I get in
pg_restore this message:

pg_restore: [archivador (bd)] Error durante PROCESAMIENTO DE TABLA DE
CONTENIDOS:
pg_restore: [archivador (bd)] Error en entrada de la tabla de contenidos
1893; 0 1615776 TABLE DATA xxxxx postgres
pg_restore: [archivador (bd)] could not execute query: server closed the
connection unexpectedly
before or while processing the request.
Command was: INSERT INTO xxxxx VALUES (1755298, 2, 117, 28, 1155,
52457, 1, 1, '', '', '', '', NULL);
pg_restore: [archivador (bd)] could not execute query: sin resultado
desde el servidor

I have a attached a log from the XID exhausted resources till it reaps
all of it's child processes, which ends in a crash from pg_restore or
any application using this table.

Thanks.

Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> Mario Lopez wrote:
>
>> Hi!,
>>
>> I am having an XID issue with PostgreSQL, while doing a pg_restore from
>> a 200MB saved database I get a server crash, searching through the debug
>> messages I have found that PostgreSQL crashes due to a exausted XID
>> resource with a message that looks this way (sorry for the Spanish log)
>>
>> UBICACIÓN: StartupXLOG, xlog.c:4820
>> LOG: 00000: el límite para el reciclaje de ID de transacciones es
>> 2147484146, limitado por base de datos «postgres»
>>

> This is not a problem. If you see a crash, the message is elsewhere --
> the message should start with ERROR, FATAL or PANIC. LOG is normal
> operation. I suggest you look at the log more closely.
>
> Maybe the error is the line above; LOCATION lines (UBICACIÓN) are
> located just below the log entry they are annotating.

Attachment Content-Type Size
log.txt text/plain 4.9 KB