PostgreSQL XID exceeded crash.

From: Mario Lopez <mario(at)lar3d(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL XID exceeded crash.
Date: 2006-09-04 11:30:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!,

I am having an XID issue with PostgreSQL, while doing a pg_restore from
a 200MB saved database I get a server crash, searching through the debug
messages I have found that PostgreSQL crashes due to a exausted XID
resource with a message that looks this way (sorry for the Spanish log)

UBICACIÓN: StartupXLOG, xlog.c:4820
LOG: 00000: el límite para el reciclaje de ID de transacciones es
2147484146, limitado por base de datos «postgres»

That is, 2GB identifiers available.

No the problem is localized I can think o several ways to fix it:

1. Increment XID capacity. I dont think this will work because with time
I will reach the maximum value.
2. Reset XID counter?, I don't even know if this makes sense.
3. Do not make transactions?. In some cases I make thousands of SELECTS
and I know the data being used it not going to be modified.

If I close transactions the XID would decrement?... I do not really
understand why this counter keeps growing without decrementing.

I have read in http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread173882.html that
with the command pg_resetxlog I can tweak the XID but I am not sure if
this is a safe way to fix the issue.

Thanks :)

Mario.