Re: problem with large maintenance_work_mem settings and

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with large maintenance_work_mem settings and
Date: 2006-03-04 15:52:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> foo=# set maintenance_work_mem to 2000000;
> SET
> foo=# VACUUM ANALYZE verbose;
> INFO: vacuuming "information_schema.sql_features"
> ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 2047999998

Just an FYI, I reported a similar problem on my 8.0.0 database a few
weeks ago. I upgraded to 8.1.3 and just recetly got that message again
in a nighly maintenance email.

vacuumdb: vacuuming database "postgres"
vacuumdb: vacuuming of database "postgres" failed: ERROR: out of memory
DETAIL: Failed on request of size 167772156.

The interesting thing is that there aren't any tables in the postgres
database. This happened Thursday night, but vacuum ran fine on Friday
night. I'm on vacation right now, so I can't really look into it much
deeper at the moment, but I thought I would mention it.

Matt