Re: problem with large maintenance_work_mem settings and

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: problem with large maintenance_work_mem settings and
Date: 2006-03-04 15:48:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
>
>>On 3/4/06, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
>>

>>>forgot to mention that this is 8.1.3 compiled from source. Further
>>>testing shows that not only CREATE INDEX has some issue with large
>>>maintenance_work_mem settings :
>>

>>what does it show:
>>cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
>

> 1421326592
>
> not that I think it is related to the problem at all. It looks like I'm
> hitting the MaxAllocSize Limit in src/include/utils/memutils.h.

just tried to increase this limit to 4GB (from the default 1GB) and this
seems to help a fair bit. (ie CREATE INDEX and VACUUM do seem to work
with much higher maintainance_work_mem settings now.
BUT: VACUUM VERBOSE (or VACUUM ANALYZE VERBOSE) breaks(with a rather
gigantic allocation request ;-)):

foo=# VACUUM VERBOSE;
INFO: vacuuming "information_schema.sql_features"
ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 18446744073709551615

Stefan