Re: PITR restore hot standby

From: "pgsql-general(at)list(dot)coretech(dot)ro" <pgsql-general(at)list(dot)coretech(dot)ro>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR restore hot standby
Date: 2005-06-01 22:13:36
Lists: pgsql-general

thanks for your reply,

I did not presume that it is a bug, I am interested to know how can I
setup a "hot standby" (if is some more documentation available).

===QUOTE FROM DOCS===
If we continuously feed the series of WAL files to another machine that
has been loaded with the same base backup file, we have a "hot standby"
system: at any point we can bring up the second machine and it will have
a nearly-current copy of the database.
===QUOTE FROM DOCS===

I have on average about 30-50GB of WAL files (gzip compressed) and a
complete restore takes about 1-3 hours. From your answer I understand
that once a restore is complete it can not be "resumed", the only way to
add a new WAL file is to restore the original backup and to "play" all
WAL files (including the new one).

In this case do you know what is the timeout on the "restore_command"
command (or where I can find it in documentation).
What will happen if I make the restore command wait for a new WAL file
to become available ?
And, most important, how do I distinguish between WAL files that should
be in the archive from those that should not be in the archive, because
I see in the documentation that "The command /will/ be asked for log
files that are not present in the archive; it must return nonzero when
so asked" ?

Are timelines helping me in this case ?

thanks again,
Razvan Radu